Five different architects worked on the Bank of Ireland building. Parliament House was revolutionary in it’s design. This vintage building drawing shows the semi-circular shape of the building. It was also the world’s first purpose-built two-chamber parliament house. The new building was funded in 1727 and the first stone was laid in 1729. It wasn’t until 1805 that the building was finally complete. Five different architects were involved in its construction.
It was included in the 11th edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica as a fine example of Greek architecture.
In 1800, the Act of Union 1800, effectively abolished the Irish Parliament as the Kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland became a single entity – the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. The Bank of Ireland purchased the building in 1803. While no longer their headquarters, the bank continues to operate a branch from this historic building. Sections of the building are also open to the public as a historical site and museum.
This image is copyright free and in the public domain anywhere that extends copyrights 70 years after death or at least 120 years after publication when the original illustrator is unknown.